Click below link for Download full CV
Bhim Lal Gautam
Central Department of Linguistics, Tribhuvan University, Nepal
Phone: 977-014330696 Mobile:977-9851076279
Areas of Specialization: Language documentation, language contact, Language ideology
and translingualism, Language politics, language change, language policy and planning.
- PhD in linguistics (2019)-Tribhuvan University, Nepal.
- MA in Linguistics (2000)- Tribhuvan University, Nepal.
- MEd in English Education (1999)- Tribhuvan University, Nepal.
- BA/BEd in English/Economics (1995)- Tribhuvan University, Nepal.
- Assistant Professor (2000-till)-Central Department of Linguistics, Tribhuvan University.
- Visiting Lecturer (2000-till)- Madan Bhandari Memorial College, Kathmandu.
- Multilingual Dictionary of Kumal: Lincom Europa (2019) Germany.
- Language contact in Nepal: A study on language use and attitude
Palgrave -Macmillan (2020) Forthcoming.
- Verbal Affixation in Kumal, Nepalese Linguistics17(2000), journal of the Linguistic Society of Nepal.
- The Auxiliary “be”in Kumal Nepalese Linguistics18 (2001), journal of the Linguistic Society of Nepal.
- Aspects in Kumal Nepalese Linguistics 19(2002), journal of the Linguistics Society of Nepal.
- A Linguistic Analysis of Online Communication Contemporary Issues in Nepalese Linguistics 21(2005), journal of the Linguistic Society of Nepal.
- Contact Nepali in Kathmandu Valley: Convergence between TB & IA Languages Nepalese Linguistics27 (2012), journal of the Linguistic Society of Nepal.
- Language use and attitude among the Sherpa speaking community in Kathmandu valley Gipan 3.2 (2017), a journal of Central Department of Linguistics, TU
- Language Shift in Newar: A Case Study in the Kathmandu Valley Nepalese Linguistics33 (1) 2018, a journal of the linguistic society of Nepal.
- Attitude towards the Ideology of English in Sherpa Journal of NELTA, Province 3, Volume 1,2019 March, Nepal English Language Teachers’ Association, Nepal
- Language shift in Sherpa Interdisciplinary Journal of Linguistics (IJL) Volume 11, 2018 pp.119 -128 University of Kashmir, India.
- Language contact in Kathmandu: A case study Triyuga Academic Journal Volume 1,2018 pp.67-79 RMC, Triyuga Multiple Campus, Udayapur, Nepal.
- Sociolinguistic survey of Nepalese Languages: A critical evaluation. Language Ecology 3:2 (2019) pp. 190 -208.John Benjamin’s Publishing Company.
- Nepalese Linguistics Vol. 31,32(2016 -2018), a journal of the Linguistic
Society of Nepal (LSN).
- History of NELTA (2019) Nepal English teachers’ Association,
Chundevi Marga, Kathmandu
- Nepali Sign Language Dictionary (2003), National Federation for Deaf and Hard hearing people (NFDH) & The Deaf Way, UK
- Nepalese Linguistics Vol.19,20(2002-2004), a journal of the Linguistic Society of Nepal (LSN)
- Causativization in Kumal: paper presented in the 9th Himalayan Languages Symposium at CIIL Mysore, India in November, 2003 organized by Himalayan Language Project & India
- Kumal Nominal System: Paper presented on 28th All India Conference of the Linguists on November 2-4.2006 at BHU, India
- A Linguistic Analysis of Online Communication in Nepalese context, paper presented in the 12th Himalayan Languages Symposium at IIAS Shimla India Nov 2-4, 2008
- Auxiliary ‘be’ in Kumal, paper presented in 21st Annual Conference of Linguistic Society of Nepal (LSN) Kathmandu Nov.26-27, 2000.
- Aspect System in Kumal: A presentation on 22nd Annual Conference of Linguistic Society of Nepal, Kathmandu November 26-27, 2001.
- Negativization in Kumal, paper presented in 23rd Annual Conference of Linguistic Society of Nepal (LSN) Kathmandu Nov.26-27, 2002.
- Causativization in Kumal, paper presented in 24th Annual Conference of Linguistic Society of Nepal Kathmandu Nov 26-27,2003.
- Compound verbs in Kumal: Paper presented on 26-27 November, 2005 in the 26th Conference of Linguistic Society of Nepal.
- A Linguistic Analysis of Online Communication in Nepal, paper presented in 27th Annual Conference of Linguistic Society of Nepal (LSN) Kathmandu Nov.26-27, 2006.
- Teaching Advertisement in Secondary Level paper presented in the Eighth International Conference of NELTA on 24-26 February 2001, Kathmandu.
- Case marking in Ghale, paper presented in 9th ICOSAL Patiala, India 8-10 January 2010
- Contact Nepali in Kathmandu Valley: Convergence between TB & IA Languages paper presented on National Workshop on labour Migration, Dialect and Language Development Agra India March 12-14, 2012.
- Contact Nepali in Kathmandu Valley: A linguistic Result of Migration paper presened at 33rd Annual Conference of Linguistic Society of Nepal Nvember 26 & 27, 2012, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Language Policy in Nepal: Some Observations paper presented at WSIS+10 UNESCO Paris, France, February 25-27, 2013.
- Language policy and linguistic diversity in Nepal: Some observations paper presented at Tromslang 2013, Tromso, Norway November 6-8,2013.
- Contact Nepali in Kathmandu Valley: A study of code switching/mixing in Newar Nepali Paper presented at 34th Annual Conference of the Linguistic Society of Nepal, November 26-27,2013.
- Present Sociolinguistic Survey of Nepalese Languages paper presented at Workshop on Nepalese Languages DDL, University of Lumeree Lyon 2, France March 27,2014
- The ongoing linguistic survey in Nepal paper presented at the Institute of Linguistics, University of Bern, Switzerland April 14, 2014.
- Linguistic Survey in Nepal: an overview paper presented at the University of Zurich, Switzerland April 15,2014.
- A Close look at the sociolinguistic survey of Nepalese languages paper presented at the International Workshop on Linguistic Field work in south Asia at Uppsala University, Sweden, 1-2 June 2015
- An Observation at the Sociolinguistic Survey of Nepalese languages poster presented at Putting Fieldwork on Indigenous Languages to new uses at University of Campinas(UNICAMP), Brazil, March 21-April 3,2016.
- Multilingualism in Kathmandu valley: A study of language use and attitudes in Sherpa paper presented at the Politics of Multilingualism: Challenges and possibilities at The University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, May 22-24, 2017.
- Attitudes towards the ideology of English: A study of language use and attitude in Newar paper presented at the 23rd International Conference of NELTA, February 15 -17,2018 Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Language shift in Newar:A study of language use and attitude in Kathmandu a poster presented at the SALA -34, June19-21, 2018 University of Konstanz, Germany.
- Sociolinguistic survey of Nepalese languages a paper presented at DLAP 3, July 23-25, 2018 Mahidol University, Thailand.
- Challenges in ELT: A preliminary survey in Nepalese context a paper presented at the National Conference of NELTA, March 2-3, 2019, Hetaunda, Nepal.
- Challenges in ELT: A teacher association research survey in Nepal a paper presented at the 53rd Annual International Conference of IATEFL and Exhibition April 1-5,2019 Liverpool, UK.
- Language Awareness in Nepalese ELT classes a paper presented at the 15th International conference of the Association of Language Awareness October 30-31,2020 Deakin University, Australia.
- Diversity, multilingualism and Democratic practices in Nepal: A socio-historical Perspective a paper presented at the 6th World Humanities Forum November 19-21, 2020, Korea.
- Researcher (2005)-Documentation of Byansi Language (Grammar& Dictionary)-NFDIN/Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu
- Researcher (2006) A Basic Kumal-Nepali-English Dictionary NFDIN/Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu.
- Researcher (2006) A Grammar of Kumal-University Grants Commission, Nepal.
- Researcher (2008) Documentation of Kisan(Sadri) Language(Grammar & Dictionary) (NFDIN), Lalitpur/ Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu.
- Researcher (2008-2018) Linguistic Survey of Nepal (LiNSuN) Project, Central Department of Linguistics, Tribhuvan University.
- Principal Researcher (2011)-Kumal sketch grammar and dictionary UGC/Faculty Rsearch Grants.
- Principal Researcher (2016)-Contact Nepali in Kathmandu valley UGC/Faculty Rsearch Grants.
- Researcher (2016-till) Language documentation, survey and other studies Language Commission Nepal, Kathmandu.
- Principal Researcher (2020)-Language Shift in Newar-UGC/Faculty Research Grants.
Field work Experiences
- A fieldwork in Language Shift in Nepal under Language Commission Nepal, Kathmandu, in the districts of Karnali and Far Western Provinces of Nepal, January-March,2018.
- A fieldwork in the Lunkhim Language under Language Commission of Nepal, Kathmandu in the remote villages of Bhojpur and Ilam districts of Nepal, May-June,2018.
- A fieldwork in the Dhuleli Language under Linguistic Survey of Nepal, Central Department of Linguistics, in the remote villages of Bajhang district of Nepal, May-June,2017.
- A fieldwork in the Limbu Language under Linguistic Survey of Nepal, Central Department of Linguistics, in the Ilam,Panthhar,Taplejung and Tehrathum districts of Nepal,September-October, 2016.
- A fieldwork in the Athpahariya and Tharu Languages under Linguistic Survey of Nepal, Central Department of Linguistics, in the Dhankuta,Sunsari,Makawanpur,Chitwan and Nawalparasi districts of Nepal, Deceember 2015-January 2016.
- A fieldwork in the Thulung Language under Linguistic Survey of Nepal, Central Department of Linguistics, in the Solukhumbu,Okhaldhunga and Khotang, districts of Nepal, December 2014-January 2015.
- A fieldwork in the Khadiya and Gangai Languages under Linguistic Survey of Nepal, Central Department of Linguistics, in the Jhapa and Morang districts of Nepal,May-June 2014.
- A fieldwork in the Bhojpuri and Awadhi Languages under Linguistic Survey of Nepal, Central Department of Linguistics, in the Rautahat, Bara, Parsa, Nawalparasi ,Kapilbastu, Dang, Bardiya and Banke districts of Nepal, 2012.
- A fieldwork in the Kaike Magar Language under Linguistic Survey of Nepal, Central Department of Linguistics, in the Dolpa district of Nepal,September-October, 2011.
- A two-month fieldwork in Kumal language for the preparation of Kumal-Nepali-English Glossary’ under The Central Department of Linguistics, 2004-2005.
- A two-month fieldwork in Byansi for the preparation of ‘Byansi-Nepali-English Glossary’ under The Central Department of Linguistics, 2003-2004.
- A three-month fieldwork in Kumal Language in Nawalparasi and Chitwan districts to collect data for MA thesis, 1999.
- A fifteen-day fieldwork in various languages in Jhapa and Morang districts as the practical course of MA syllabus, 1998.
- Founder Member: Madan Bhandari Memorial College & School, Kathmandu.
- Founder Member: Cosmopolitan College, Kathmandu.
- Founder-coordinator: Ananda Path, a spiritual
- Life member: Linguistic Society of Nepal (LSN).
- Life member: Nepal English Language Teacher’s Association (NELTA).
- Member: IATEFL and Association of Language Awareness.
- Mahendra Biddhya Bhusan “Kha” from His Majesty Late King Birendra Bir Bikram Shah for achieving Gold Medal in MA Linguistics2000.
- James McCawley Fellowship Linguistic Society of America to attend Summer School in Linguistics at MIT & Harvard University, US June 27-August5,2005.
- Best Paper Presenter Award honored by Summer Institute of Linguistics International at 25th Annual Conference of Linguistic Society of Nepal Nov 26-28 2006.
- Youth Ambassador for Peace Awarded by Universal Peace Federation, Kathmandu 2008
- ASLAN Fellow Award 2013 University of Lyon 2, France to study and work as a guest researcher at DDL Lyon, France,2nd March-11th May 2014.
- Faculty Research Fellow (2011,2016,2020) University Grants Commission Nepal, Sanothimi Bhaktapur.
- Dev Narayan Yadava (2008): A Sketch Grammar of Saadri (Kisaan)-MA
- Krishna Maya Magar (2012): A Sociolinguistic Study of Sikkim Nepali-MA
- Rajib Kumar Shah (2012): Code Switching in Maithili Language (A case study of Siraha District, Nepal)-MA
- Rakesh Yadav (2013): Language shift in Maithili speakers (A case study of Kathmandu Valley)-MA
- Binita Yadav (2015): Code Mixing in Maithili Nepali-MA
- Bhim Kissan (2015): Sadri/Kisaan verb morphology-MA
- Ramesh Narayan Shah (2017): Code Mixing in Tharu as spoken in Saptari district-MA
- Silu Sharma (2019): Compounding in Nepali sign language-MA
- Subash Rai (2020): Language Shift in Bantawa (A case study of Sikkim, India)-MA
- United Kingdom