Gipan, ISSN 2594-3456 (Print) and ISSN 2795-1561 (Online), the journal of linguistics, published by Central Department of Linguistics, Tribhuvan University, invites articles in prescribed format for the upcoming volume (Volume 5) and subsequent volumes (Volume 6 onwards). Article should follow standard academic practices including language, format and ethical considerations. Articles should be written in standard academic English. The journal has double blind peer review policy. The Journal is indexed in NepJOL https://www.nepjol.info/index.php/gipan/index. To facilitate this process, the authors are requested to submit two separate files: (1) Title page containing the author details, and (2) Manuscript without author information.
Title page should contain the following information:
– Running head (a short title of less than 40 characters)
– Author/s full name(s) written as First name Middle name Last name
– Affiliation: The name(s) of the institution(s) (including section, division, center or department)
– Authors’ telephone number and e-mail address
– Corresponding author
Manuscript should conceal author identifier elements. Authors are suggested:
– Not to use first person pronouns for the reference of earlier works of the author(s) as these can be author identifier elements. Use first person pronouns referring to the present manuscript only.
– Not to include acknowledgement section in the first submitted draft (this section can be added later if the article is accepted for publication)
Manuscript should contain the elements in the following order:
– Abstract (150-200 words)
– Keywords (5 words/phrases)
– Main text (divided in sections and numbered in decimal)
– List of abbreviations (if any)
– Appendix (if any)
– Tables and figures should be in proper place in the text (provide heading/captions, and number them in decimal). Authors may be requested later to submit high quality figures separately, if needed.
Format of the manuscript:
a. Number of pages: 10-25
b. Page size: 18cm x 24 cm
c. Orientation: Portrait
d. Margins: 2 cm in all sides, header and footer
e. Line spacing: Single
f. Paragraph spacing: 6 point before and 0 point after; but no paragraph space between the lines in the same example (each example is considered as a paragraph).
g. Fonts and faces:
– Times New Roman or similar sized fonts (11pt) for description
– Data from language(s) other than English need to be in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) Unicode (10pt).
– If other scripts are necessary (for the data on orthography, dictionary, etc.), please use the fonts compatible with Unicode.
– The data in the running text should be italicized.
Unified style sheet for linguistics should be followed for the manuscript. Some of the key points are as follows (visit https://www.linguisticsociety.org/sites/default/files/style-sheet_0.pdf for details).
a. ‘Author, Date: page’ in the text citation
b. ‘Author (Surname, First name (Middle name) and First name (Middle name) Surname), Date, Title (normal face for part (articles in book or journals) and italic for whole), Place: Publisher, Pages (for part).
– Date without brackets.
– Title: without quotation marks, Each Word capital for Periodicals and sentence case for the rest.
c. Abbreviations: (ed(s).) for editor(s), (edn.) for edition, (tr.) for translator, (BS) for Vikram Samvat, (NS) for Nepal Samvat.
d. Titles other than English should be provided with English translation.
– Leipzig Glossing Rules (LGR) will be basic guidelines for morphosyntactic glossing https://www.eva.mpg.de/lingua/pdf/Glossing-Rules.pdf
Contributors are requested to submit both DOC/DOCX and PDF files to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The information is also available at Central Department of Linguistics (CDL) website: GIPAN | Central Department of Linguistics (cdltu.edu.np)
Important Dates (for the articles submitted for Volume 5):
– Deadline for submission: 15 May 2021.
– Notification for rejection or acceptance: 15 July 2021
– Resubmission in case of conditional acceptance: 30 July 2021
This invitation is for volume 5. There is no deadline for subsequent volumes. So, we keep receiving the articles round the year, entering them into review process and publishing them in the successive volumes. However, the articles received within 15 May 2021 will be reviewed for Volume 5. The articles received after the date will be reviewed for the subsequent volumes.
The editorial board has right to decide on acceptance/rejection. The submissions which do not meet standard academic writing will not be forwarded to reviewers.
Contributors will be notified about the result (acceptance, revision and resubmission, or rejection). Email is used for submission and all the subsequent communication.
Copyright and ethical issues
– Submitting the articles to Gipan means the authors agree with the journal’s copyright policy, i.e., the contents of the articles are completely free to use, store, reproduce (even for business purposes) provided that the user acknowledges the author(s) by proper citation/reference.
– Submitting the articles to Gipan means that the article complies with ethical academic practices and the authors are solely responsible for any kind of violation of academic ethical practices.
– If plagiarism is found in the submitted article, the authors will not be allowed to submit any articles to the subsequent 3 volumes of the journal.
Balaram Prasain, PhD
Lekhnath Sharma Pathak
Bhim Narayan Regmi